Barangay Ipil was created by virtue of Ordinance No.01, series of 1998, of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan enacted on September 27, 1998. The ordinance specifically mentions the sitios of Ipil, Mapaoay, Tannobonng, Maledda, Matucnang, Sumadel and Dananao, all of mother barangay Bulanao, to comprise the new barangay. The ordinance defined the boundaries as follows; in the north, by barangay Dilag along Lot Numbers 839, 950 and 3326 to lot Numbers 947 and 948; in the east, by Alliog Creek; in the south, going towards and curving following along Kabulinagan Creek; and in the west, by line of Lot Numbers 1097 and 1095 following Tannobong Creek to Lot Numbers 1139, 1140,1142, 1145, 1146 crossing Mapaoay Creek to Lot Numbers 1165 following Irrigation Canal No. 2 Lot Numbers 938, 949, 830, 831, 832, 834, 835, 836, 837, 838 and finally, to Lot No.839 towards the circuit of the north.
It took more than four years before the creation would materialize due to the series of public consultations and also the scheduling of the plebiscite by the Commission on Election. The plebiscite which was simultaneous with that of neighboring Bulanao Norte was finally conducted on December 21, 2002 resulting to ratification of the creation by an overwhelming majority of those who voted.
The corporate existence of the new barangay began on January 20, 2003 with the appointment by Mayor Camilo Lammawin, Jr. of the following as its first set of officials: Pedro Yuing as barangay Chairman and Alex Alngag, Angbao Daliyong, Arsenio Emmang, Daniel Lampeze, Felix Elig, Casiano Datol and Eliseo Saydoen as barangay kagawads.
II. Creation – 2002
III. Land Area - .75 sq. km
IV. No. of sitios/puroks – 8 sitios
V. Population (2007 NSO census) – 2,691
VI. Major Products - Rice